April 14, 2008

Uncle John

John...silly, kind, generous, loving, loyal, honest, a man of integrity, selfless, happy, hard working, strong, honorable, fun, a blessing and so very missed. Time is a crazy thing. It is hard to believe it has been 2 years. This is a very personal blog, but it is very important to me to document feelings, stories, and moments for my children. Even though John is not here, I want Jackson and Ella to know him as if he is. John was not only a brother to me, but also my best friend. We were friends even before Jason and I started dating and John was instrumental in our relationship and taught us many things about love and how to take things one day at a time and enjoy the time that we spent together. We spent many nights at Cagle's Steaks and I am so grateful for all that time that John, Jason and I had together. I am so thankful for the 10 months that John knew Jackson. Precious and priceless...that is how I remember them together. John was not able to be there when Jackson was born, but I will never forget the look on his face when he met him for the first time, and how he held him for so long. Surprising us for Jackson's baby dedication. Del Frisco's. Disney World and John feeding him...the biggest mess ever. I loved every stain from that lasagna. John taking Jackson from me at restaurants when I would freak out if he made the slightest fuss. Flex - ha :) Thanksgiving at John and Shadie's house. Christmas at Ironhorse. Memories that I hope never fade. I am so thankful for those times. I am so thankful for things in Jackson that remind me of John. We lovingly joked and called John "Mr. Fix It" because he always wanted everyone to be happy and wanted to make things right for people (or animals...) even if that meant spending hundreds (or was it thousands??) of dollars on a stray dog that we all know as Kinzey. Jackson is that way - he gets upset when people cry and immediately wants to fix it, with a hug, a kiss, or even his nite nite. Many times I have heard, "It's ok mommy, nite nite makes you feel good." His teachers at school tell me that when a child cries that Jackson is the first over to hug and tell them that it will be ok. I love that. Eating...need I say more? I wish he could have seen Ella - he would be in love with her. Two years ago our lives changed forever, but I know God's plan is a perfect plan, even though I may never understand it fully. My heart is heavy as I think of all of the times that we were supposed to spend together but I smile at the sweet memory of him and the thought of him in Heaven and at the fact that I know I will see him again soon. As John said himself at his grandfather's funeral, "He is not in a better place, he is in the best place."

4 comments:

The Curtis Family said...

What a sweet picture. What a sweet man. He is everything you said and more. I remember after a long night at Cagle's, he took me and Landon to eat pizza because we were both going through so much with our parent's divorce. After a LONG night at Cagle's. You know those nights, when you just can't wait to go home and relax. But he took us, smelly and all, for pizza to get our minds off of it all.

Meredith said...

Those words were so beautiful and touching. I know that Heston, Jackson, Ella and any other Irons kiddos will grow up knowing John just because ya'll will keep him alive with your stories and memories. Hope this week is going ok for you guys.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I miss him every day and don't understand why he is not here. The world is at a loss without him, but that is probably why he was asked to come home so early. Thanks for writing these words babe. Lots of fun memories and stories to tell. Let's keep telling them. "Mr. Fix It" is certainly a good description of my bubba.